Netrani Island is a small jewel of island located off the temple and beach Murudeshwar in North Kanara district (Karwar) in Karnataka. It is about 10Kms from there.
(Photo: Netrani Island or Pigeon Island seen off Murudeshwar)
It is largely unexplored by tourists visiting Murudeshwar and surrounding areas. The adjacent Island is used by the Indian Navy for target practice (there is a naval base in nearby Karwar). This Island is a hub of the endangered Coral Reefs and exotic marine species.
How to reach there
You'll have to take a boat to Netrani Island which will take you about half an hour from Murudeshwar. Check with local fishermen and hotels in Murudeshwar for travel warnings and boat information.
Things you can do there
- Scuba Diving
- Staring at the sea and admiring the natural beauty of the Island
Anybody who organizes trips to Netrani Island?
Netrani Island is not a regular tourist destination; it is a target practice range of the India Navy, however there are conflicting versions if the navy still continues to use this Island.
A couple of adventure clubs from Goa organize for Scuba diving (for professionals), snorkeling and other adventure activities here. There is also a club from Bangalore, if you're interested.
- The Bangalore Mountaineering Club in Bangalore arranges for adventure and snorkelling trips to Netrani Island among other destinations in Karnataka. Check with them beforehand as they may require a minimum size group to arrange for the trip. You can contact them at:
The Bangalore Mountaineering Club
No, 69, K. R. Garden, 3rd Main,
Bank colony, Murgeshpalya,
Vimanapura Post, Bangalore - 560017
Tel: (91) 9980761262 / (91) 9341961262
Email id: team at bmcindia.org
Gtalk/Yahoo/AIM/MSN ID : neerajmalve
- Turtle Bay Resort (http://www.turtlebayeco.com), located in Kundapur, organises Diving, Snorkeling and Trekking trips to Netrani Island and other spots in the region. You can contact them at:
Turtle Bay Beach Resort
Gujjadi P.O. Trasi
Kundapur - 576235,
Tel : 08254 - 265422
Mob : 09900461609
Fax - 08254-265761
- Dive Goa (www.divegoa.com)
Contact: Ajey Patil
6th floor, Building B,
Goa - 403002
Tel: +91-93250 30109
Tel: +91-93250 30110
- Barracuda Diving conducts Professional Diving expeditions in Netrani Island and Diving Classes in Goa. Get in touch with them at:
c/o Sun Village Resort, Baga Arpora, Goa - 403518.
Tel: (0832) 2279409 - 14
If you are planning to head out alone to Netrani Island, make it a short trip as this Island is a Navy Protected area and they are believed to carry out target practice and bomb-testing activities.
Check with the local fishermen about the warning above as they regularly venture out in the sea.
It is best if you do through a club since they will make all the necessary arrangements before-hand.
See Murudeshwar temple nearby
See other attractions in Uttara Kannada district: